Friday, May 24, 2013

finally

After a year of pulling teeth to get any substantial help, I can finally breathe easy for a little bit. After having Johnny assessed and formally diagnosed, (finally!) my kid was accepted into a program called Stepping Stones. The program runs for 8 weeks of the summer and he will go for 3 hours a day, 5 days a week. I couldn't be more excited! Apparently starting this fall, they will extend the younger kid's program into a year-long thing. Before this, only the older kids had it, 2 days a week after school. I will have the option of keeping Johnny in the program from there on out or having him wait until next summer to rejoin. I am hoping to find a way to have him involved in both Stepping Stones and at Matternville Preschool when next year starts up. I think a complete transition away from his concept of "school" involving the teachers he knows and the friends he has made would be a bad idea. And if we are still living in the house we are at a year from now, he would continue on to kindergarten with several of the kids he is currently with when he hits our school district. I also think that sticking with Matternville half-day will help him in terms of remaining integrated with the traditional school group. Anyway, no matter what route we choose when September comes, I'VE GOT HELP FOR THE SUMMER! Between his new behavioral therapist that comes once a week and the summer camp, I no longer feel like we will be taking 10 steps back during the break.

Am I the only parent to ever be so excited about having something like this happen? Most parents I know would be upset to have their child diagnosed as autistic. I already knew, I just needed someone to formally confirm so that he could get the extra help he needs. And really, he isn't "less" than other kids in any way-- he is just wired differently. I can't imagine my world without him, just as he is! 



No comments:

Post a Comment